Not only does stress manifest itself in physical ways, your mental health can be affected when you are under a lot of stress. Many people who already have mental health problems can become worse due to stressful situations; keeping yourself healthy means looking for these psychological indicators of stress. These indicators include:
- Depression or feeling pessimistic, distressed or apathetic toward others.
- Irritability or feeling impatient, restless and pacing frequently.
- Developing facial tics, finger tapping, finger drumming or other nervous mannerisms.
- Experiencing speech difficulties, such as stuttering, halting or stammering.
- Getting angry quickly, which may result in punching or throwing items.
- Difficulty paying attention, being disorganized, having memory loss or confusion.
- Feeling unproductive or experiencing impaired performance at work or school.
- Having feelings of being constantly overwhelmed.
Many of these mental health indicators of stress can directly affect your personal, school or work life. Because of this, it’s important to seek out help from a therapist, psychologist or psychiatrist. Talking with a professional and getting treatment, both for your stress and for the mental health problems it creates, is important to help you overcome your difficult situation. In some cases, a psychiatrist may recommend medication that can reduce your anxiety or depression.
Stress can manifest itself in many ways that can cause permanent damage to the body if not dealt with promptly. Most people feel stress during each day; reducing your stress levels is important in living a happy and healthy life. There are several helpful and healthy ways to manage your stress levels. These ways include:
- Exercising, which releases endorphins that help our bodies to feel good.
- Socializing with others regularly, which helps by releasing hormones that fight high cortisol levels.
- Avoiding stress by saying “no” to things that you can’t handle right now and by avoiding people that cause high-stress levels.
Take charge of your life, reduce your stress and increase your levels of happiness and well-being by realizing the indicators of stress that your body is sending out and dealing with it in a healthy way. Check out our article on home remedies for stress.